Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What is a blog?

I myself have never posted a blog and have read very few blogs posted by others, the few blogs that I have read are ones posted on Facebook or Myspace. Before reading the blog articles posted on Nick's page I had very little information about what a blog actually is and how it can be used in so many different ways. I learned that a blog is a way for a person or an organization to share their ideas, thoughts, music and even pictures with thousands of other people and networks. Posting a blog is much different then just writing in a private journal because it gives you the opportunity to receive feedback from other people and allow you to view an idea from a different point of view. Blogs can also be a useful resource when you are looking to buy a new product. You can use the blog created by the company of your product of interest to see how other consumers have liked the product. Though a blog is a place for you to express your thoughts and ideas, i do not find it appropriate to use it to express racial judgments on other peoples beliefs or religion. A blog should be a place where a person can feel no judgment for what they believe.

7 comments:

Nick Tambakeras said...

Yeah, you're right about the ability to post feedback. That's what makes a blog so interesting--the reader can affect the content by changing the blogger's mind about an issue through commenting or posting a blog response. How does that change how information is disseminated in this age of laqrge media conglomerates who answer to a relative few?

cari chapman said...

I too did not know anything about blogs besides what I have seen on Myspace and Facebook. After reading the research, I learned how much a blog can be. Before I read your blog, I never thought about it being used for advertising and selling things. How do you want to use the blog, as an online diary, a place to debate topics, or just a place to express yourself?

Lafonda said...

I agree that a blog is not the appropriate place to express hateful opinions on controversial topics. Even though it is someone's own personal blog they still need to be sensitive to all the people out there who may read their blog.

Mitch McInnis said...

I like your observation about how blogs may be used for commercial use. I think this could be a good and bad thing. It's good for businesses, especially small business, to have a free and worldwide form of advertisement but I think this could easily be abused and could get quite annoying.

Scubadiver1188 said...

I agree and know what you mean. I've only read blogs on facebook and myspace. Though I'm not sure that a company would have a blog for consumers to look at what other s have said about the product, they normally have a link on their company's website for stuff like that.

chris said...

I am in the same boat as you, and I felt you had a great point about using blogs to find out what consumers had to say about products. I had not thought of that, but what a convient way to find out what others think of a product world wide. You are right on with the fact that a blog is where a person should feel no judgement.

Riddle said...

i agree with what you had to say about blog sites should feel free from judgement. but now in todays would its not highly likely. And you asked me why i thinkthere should be no drama on these sites. well it's b/c i figure there is already enough everyelse why should it be on a blog site. and yes you are correct on saying that blog sites are a way for people to express and communicate, but if there is something that is either to personnal or cause a lot of drama the individual should revert back to the original pen and journal.